The true shock came to American Joni Reikenmayer and her husband Chris Skyne. Joni discovered that her unborn child was in danger of becoming crippled at 19 weeks of pregnancy due to a major spinal disease. Future parents had two choices about the course of events: either accept a potentially harmful operation for the child or leave everything as it is. They made the second choice, and the results were unexpected.

Before hearing the dreadful news, Joni and Chris were organizing a celebration to unveil the gender of the unborn child. In the USA, such gatherings are very well-attended. The soon-to-be parents went to the doctor for an ultrasound after the holiday. They were confident that their infant was in perfect health.

However, something unexpected occurred at the doctor’s appointment. The doctor broke the bad news to the couple: the infant had a pathology of the spine, which had harmed the baby’s brain and spinal cord.

The infant suffered from a “cerebral herniation” as a result of the vertebrae separating (a part of the brain that protrudes outwards and is filled with fluid). This condition causes the intestines, kidneys, and bladder to malfunction in addition to the full paralysis of the legs.

Parents sought out different clinics because they did not want to accept a horrible diagnosis. But even there, medical professionals confirmed that the crumbs had a harmful pathology. A quick decision that would determine the child’s future was required.

Joni and Chris decided on a difficult operation without giving it much thought. The infant had to be extracted from the mother’s womb, the hernia had to be repaired, the brain and spinal cord had to have extra fluid pumped out, and finally the spine’s developmental flaw had to be corrected. The 19-week-old infant had to be put back in the womb following these incidents.

The woman’s 80% chance of giving birth prematurely posed the most threat. Additionally, the surgeons lacked sufficient experience because they had never carried out such procedures in their facility. The procedure was carried out in spite of all the dangers.

In the operation room, 32 professionals were present. All pathologies were eliminated from the 500 gram infant before placing it back inside the womb. Soon later, the expecting mother started having contractions, which the physicians were able to stop. The infant continued to develop and “take root” in the womb.

The infant underwent a caesarean section for a second delivery. Ten weeks after a difficult operation, a child was born. His mother Joni was compelled to lie flat on her back the entire time. But Joni was willing to go further for the sake of her cherished child.